Become a subject matter expert
Cégep à distance needs subject matter experts to contribute to the development and review of our course content.
Candidates for course development and review
Course development consists of:
- Contributing to the course design
- Writing texts or developing various media components based on the distance education model
You will be introduced to the specific tools used at Cégep à distance.
You must be available from 14 to 21 hours a week, because every stage of course production must be completed within a maximum of one year. It takes between 60 and 100 days of work to develop a 45-hour course.
You will develop the instructional materials with the help of a team of instructional design specialists.
The course materials will then be made available to the entire CEGEP network. In addition to enjoying an enriching professional experience, you will be giving your colleagues access to highly useful teaching materials that can be used to support in-class teaching.
The compensation ranges from $15,000 to $24,000, depending on the scope and format of the materials to be developed.
How is the course development team structured?
The course development team includes several members with well-defined roles:
- Project coordinator: ensures that each course complies with our specific approach to instructional design and supervises course production.
- Subject matter experts (SMEs): generally teachers from college-level institutions in Québec. They contribute to the development and production of different aspects of the course or are responsible for content review.
- Other participants: may be involved as instructional designers and advisors, language reviewers, editors, illustrators, or proofreaders. A media conversion coordinator, programmers, graphic designers, and other specialists contribute to publish our courses online.
The breadth of the course materials to develop depends on the medium used for course delivery, whether or not there is an appropriate textbook currently available on the market, and the course duration: 45, 60, 75, or 90 hours.
Content review consists of:
- Reviewing the materials developed
- Giving your opinion on the pedagogical aspects
- Verifying the content
- You have a bachelors degree or a masters degree in a field of study related to the course– essential;
- You have college-level experience teaching the subject matter required for the course – essential;
- You have familiarized yourself with distance education approaches;
- You use of ICT tools proficiently within a teaching context;
- You have experience creating or reviewing instructional material;
- You have well-developed instructional design and communication skills;
- You are able to work in close collaboration with other team members to obtain an optimal level of quality for your deliverables;
- You are intellectually rigourous, possess a good working methodology and respect deadlines.
Consult our current employment opportunities on the AMEQ Emplois website (in French).
If you would like to forward us an application for the role of subject matter expert, you should submit a document specifying which courses you teach (or have taught) and your CV by way of this form.
The Collège de Rosemont subscribes to an employment equity program and invites women, disabled candidates and members of ethnic and visible minority communities as well as first nations candidates to submit an application.
Only those who have submitted all the required documentation, have college teaching experience and whose candidature has been accepted for interview will receive a reply from the Pedagogical Engineering and Innovation sector (the sector responsible for course design at Cégep à distance).