Frequently Asked Questions
What is Cégep à distance?
Cégep à distance is a lively, innovative, flexible, motivating learning environment that has been fostering the full development of its students for over 25 years.
Cégep à distance develops and offers free-standing asynchronous courses. Every student benefits from personal support.
- Free-standing course: A free-standing course includes all the course materials.
- Asyncronous mode: The student does the course work when and where it suits them. In this sense, the education is customized.
- Personal support:Our progress and academic development team and our tutors offer professional services tailored to every person who studies with us, from their initial admission application to graduation.
Go to the About Cégep à distance page to find out more.
How are Cégep à distance courses offered?
- To register for one or more courses at Cégep à distance, you first have to apply for admission or, if you are already enrolled in another cégep, get a reciprocal arrangement for visiting students (commandite) from your college.
- Then you have to complete a registration form on the portal (Campus). You will receive your course materials by mail, generally within five business days.
- The courses currently being developed are multimedia courses, which use the best available means to deliver the course material: websites, multimedia capsules, MP3s, videos, PDF or print documents (workbooks, textbooks, novels, etc.) and more.
- All the materials you need for your course are included in the package you receive by mail or within the course. You need to have the required computer resources.
- As soon as you receive your course materials, you can begin. First look over your Study Guide and then plunge into the workbook or textbook. Set a schedule for each course. Ideally, you should pass in your first assignment during the first month of the course. You will have between three and seven assignments, depending on the course.
- A tutor who is a specialist in the subject matter will coach you in every course you take.
- At all times, 24/7, you can go to the Cégep à distance Campus, where you can access your courses, course forums, the messaging system to contact your tutor, your notes and administrative services.
- You are never alone!
How long does a Cégep à distance course take?
You have a maximum of six months to complete all your assignments, as set out in the Cégep à distance rules. Then you have to do the final evaluation(s) no more than three months after the grade for your final assignment is posted by your tutor.
You can complete your course quickly or take the entire allowable time. On average, Cégep à distance students take four and a half months to complete a course.
What are the registration deadlines?
Cégep à distance uses a continual registration system. Since the courses are individualized, you can enrol whenever you choose, at any time of year.
That said, the date of your application will determine the session you are enrolled in:
|Novembre 1 to April 15||Winter|
|April 16 to June 30||Summer*|
|July 1 to October 31||Fall|
The summer session is for part-time students and commandite students (visiting students).
Exactly how long does it take to complete a Cégep à distance study program?
There is no exact length of time for completing the programs offered at Cégep à distance. Since the education is individualized, you study at your own pace. You can take from one to four courses at a time. You can take a break between two sessions or continue in order to reach your goals faster.
Can I take courses without doing a whole program?
Yes. Regardless of the DCS/DEC you want, you can start, advance or complete your general education by enrolling in the Springboard to a DCS/DEC program (081.06). If you need a prerequisite for admission to a university program, Cégep à distance also offers many university prerequisites (080.04). Finally, if you want to take a course for your own personal interest, you can register as an independent student (080.02).
Can I take a course at Cégep à distance for credit in a program I am doing at another cégep?
Yes. Depending on your situation, the college where you are enrolled may issue an authorization (commandite) to allow you to study at Cégep à distance and still remain enrolled in your home college. Please see the Student already enrolled in another cégep section for more information.
Are Cégep à distance courses recognized by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur as equal to courses in other cégeps?
Yes. Cégep à distance is an integral part of Collège de Rosemont, which has been mandated by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur to develop and offer distance college education for Québec. Our courses are therefore recognized as equal to those of other colleges.
How much does a Cégep à distance course cost?
To find out the cost of a course, please see our online Course Selection Guide. Search for the course you are interested in and then scroll to the bottom of the page for the Fees section.
The tuition fee is the same as at other public cégeps. If you are eligible for free tuition, you will not have to pay the tuition fee.
To enrol in the summer session with a commandite, you have to pay the total fee at the time of enrolment. The tuition fee will be reimbursed after your college sends the Ministère de l’Éducation confirmation of your eligibility for free tuition.
You always have to pay for the course materials, shipping and handling costs and session fees. Please see the Fees page for more details.
What is the total cost of a study program at Cégep à distance?
The total cost for a program varies. If you want an estimate of the total amount, you have to calculate the cost of the materials for each course in the program, as well as the tuition fees, if any, based on your status and eligibility for free tuition (please see the Fees page and the section on that page called Student status and tuition-free studies). Other factors may also influence the total cost to pay.
Only the courses you intend to take in your initial session are considered in the calculation of costs payable at the time of registration. The cost for the entire program will be spread out over the duration of your studies.
Are Cégep à distance students eligible for student financial aid?
Yes, as a Cégep à distance student, you can apply for student financial aid if you live in Québec and do not have enough financial resources to pursue your education.
To find out more about eligibility conditions for student financial aid, please go to the Ministère de l’Éducation financial aid website at www.afe.gouv.qc.ca.
Students admitted to Cégep à distance can find more information about the specifics that apply to our institution on our Financial aid for students page. Students registered with a commandite must see the financial aid office in their own college.
What is the tutor’s role?
The tutor’s primary role is to support you in your learning process. Your tutor will:
- Answer your questions about the subject matter
- Correct and provide comments on your assignments
- Help you prepare for the exam and then correct it
Can I change my tutor?
No. You have to complete your course with the tutor assigned to you, so there is no point in asking to switch tutors during the course.
What are the maximum and minimum times for completing a course and taking the exam?
You have up to six months to submit your assignments, one at a time, under the Cégep à distance guidelines. Given mail delivery times and the need to wait for your tutor’s corrections before submitting the next assignment, it is hard to complete all the assignments in less than three months. From the time the grade for your last assignment is posted in the Campus, you have up to three months to take the exam.
Can I submit more than one assignment at a time?
You cannot submit more than one assignment at a time to your tutor. If you send more than one assignment at a time, the extra assignments will be returned to you unmarked, which may end up causing you a delay.
Can I ask for an extension to submit my assignments or take the exam?
If you have had one assignment corrected and the mark is posted in the Campus, you can apply for a two-month extension to submit your other assignments. You can also apply for a one-month extension to take your exam. A fee is charged for extensions. Access the Campus:
- On your home screen, under My Courses, click on your course title, then click Extend the due date of…
- You must apply separately for each course, if applicable
- There is a $40 fee for each extension for assignments and exams, for each course
Your request must be received by Cégep à distance:
- No later than five business days after the deadline date for your last assignment
- No later than five business days after the deadline date for your final evaluation – exam(s)
After this date, no extensions can be granted.Cégep à distance will not grant a second extension.
What are the requirements for passing a course?
To pass a course and earn the credits, you have to:
- Have all your assignments corrected in order and in compliance with the Cégep à distance rules
- Get at least 50% on the final exam
- Get an overall grade (assignments and exam) of at least 60%
Even if your total for assignments and exam is higher than 60%, you must get at least 50% on the exam to pass the course. Some courses offer you the possibility of re-writing the final.
Does Cégep à distance issue transcripts and diplomas?
If you are registered as a Cégep à distance student (without a commandite), you will receive a transcript from us. It is cumulative and includes all courses you have taken within the cégeps network. If you register with a commandite, a final copy of your transcript is issued directly to the registrar of your home cégep. Please see the Official forms and documents page for more information about receiving a diploma.
I have already failed one or more courses at Cégep à distance. Can I re-apply?
If I reregister after a failure, can I use the same course materials?
If you fail and reregister for the same course, you can reuse the course materials if the course version has not changed. In this case, you only have to pay the registration fee and you will receive a new set of assignments. Make sure you have kept all the course materials, and be sure to mention this in your application. Note! Course materials cannot be transferred from one student to another.